Wednesday 28 January 2015

How to prove Abigail is immoral and unchristian? What will be the quotation to support it (quotation must be related with the relationship between...

Abigail Williams is by definition an immoral individual throughout the play. She not only engages in an affair with John Proctor, but continues to tempt him while they are alone, threatens to kill the other girls if they do not follow her lead, and falsely accuses innocent citizens of witchcraft.When Reverend Parris and the adults leave Betty's room in Act One, Mary Warren begs Abigail to tell the truth and Betty mentions that Abigail...

Abigail Williams is by definition an immoral individual throughout the play. She not only engages in an affair with John Proctor, but continues to tempt him while they are alone, threatens to kill the other girls if they do not follow her lead, and falsely accuses innocent citizens of witchcraft. When Reverend Parris and the adults leave Betty's room in Act One, Mary Warren begs Abigail to tell the truth and Betty mentions that Abigail drank blood to put a curse on Elizabeth Proctor. Abigail responds by saying,



"Now look you. All of you. We danced. And Tituba conjured Ruth Putnam’s dead sisters. And that is all. And mark this. Let either of you breathe a word, or the edge of a word, about the other things, and I will come to you in the black of some terrible night and I will bring a pointy reckoning that will shudder you. And you know I can do it; I saw Indians smash my dear parents’ heads on the pillow next to mine, and I have seen some reddish work done at night, and I can make you wish you had never seen the sun go down!" (Miller, 30).



After threatening the girls, John Proctor arrives and Abigail reveals her emotions for him. She proceeds to tempt John Proctor by saying,



"I have a sense for heat, John, and yours has drawn me to my window, and I have seen you looking up, burning in your loneliness. Do you tell me you’ve never looked up at my window?" (Miller, 32).



In Act Two, Mary Warren says that she saved Elizabeth's life in court after Abigail falsely accused her of witchcraft. Elizabeth, who is an innocent Christian, understands Abigail's motives to remove her in order to get to John. Elizabeth tells John,



"She wants me dead. I knew all week it would come to this!" (Miller, 56).



Abigail's unrestrained sexual appetite, her violent temper, and her manipulative personality illustrate that she is an immoral individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In "By the Waters of Babylon," under the leadership of John, what do you think the Hill People will do with their society?

The best place to look for evidence in regards to what John's plans are for his people is the final paragraphs of the story. John has re...