Thursday 4 June 2015

Can you please suggest some good job opportunities for previous mariners who are returning home?

There are a few unknowns in this question that make it difficult for me to answer. What I can tell you is that several sailors (Navy and civilian), that I know, have found work on land that has allowed them to support each of their families.  


One of the men that I know is now a teacher.  He went back to school to get his teaching credentials, and is a now a high school...

There are a few unknowns in this question that make it difficult for me to answer. What I can tell you is that several sailors (Navy and civilian), that I know, have found work on land that has allowed them to support each of their families.  


One of the men that I know is now a teacher.  He went back to school to get his teaching credentials, and is a now a high school math teacher.  A lot of people assume that teachers do not make a lot of money.  I am a teacher, and compared to a doctor, no I don't make a lot of money, but I do get 3 months paid vacation every year.  That's a lot of time that I get to spend at home with my wife and kids.  I can't think of another job that offers that kind of time off.  


Two of the other guys that I know are now in the trades.  Specifically, they are both electricians. I have spoken to both of them (previously) about their work, and they both have said that they are getting more and more work.  They both stated that fewer and fewer people know how to do basic electrical work. That, coupled with the rising amount of electrical systems within houses, creates a lot of work for a fairly small work force. Consequently, electricians are currently making great money.  


Outside of the trades, a mariner could seek work in the field of engineering.  It's a diverse field.  Mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and/or civil engineering are just a few common fields.  Because of their emphasis on math and science, those jobs also tend to currently pay quite well.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

In "By the Waters of Babylon," under the leadership of John, what do you think the Hill People will do with their society?

The best place to look for evidence in regards to what John's plans are for his people is the final paragraphs of the story. John has re...